Shanker Ramamurthy is currently the General Manager of Strategy & Market Development for Industry Platforms. He is also the President of the IBM Industry Academy and a member of the IBM Growth & Transformation Team.
Over the last 25 years as a consultant and business executive he has worked in all the six continents across thirty plus countries in the intersection of strategy, information technology, big data and analytics.He is a well known thought leader with five patents relating to addressing complexity, has authored several white papers and been ranked as one of the 50 most influential financial services consultants worldwide by Euromoney magazine.
Earlier in his career Shanker was a Partner in the consulting arm of PricewaterhouseCoopers, initially in Australia and then in New York leading the Financial Services Strategy practice worldwide until 2002 and joined IBM when it acquired the consulting arm of PwC.
Shanker has had several leadership roles in IBM including:
- CTO and General Manager of GBS Strategy & Solutions, with responsibility for GBS Strategy, Mergers & Acquisitions, Thought Leadership including responsibility for the Institute for Business Value, and GBS Solutions;
- Global Managing Partner for the Strategy & Analytics consulting practice with over 20,000 consultants worldwide in IBM Global Business Services;
- General Manager IBM Banking & Financial Services business worldwide;
- Global Industry Leader for Banking & Financial Markets consulting; and
- Global Strategy and Change Leader for the Financial Services Consulting business.
Shanker also spent three years (2011 thru 2014) with Thomson Reuters Corporation, initially as President of Financial Professional & Marketplaces, a $5.5 billion business that delivered news, information, and analytics to trading, investing, financial, and corporate professionals. For the last two years, and as an officer of the company, Shanker created and built the $1.2 billion Global Growth & Operations strategic business unit.
Shanker earned his MS in Information Science from the University of New South Wales in Australia. Earlier while studying in India, he earned his MBA from the Indian Institute of Management in Ahmedabad and his BS degree in Mathematics from the University of Madras. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.